Thursday, March 24, 2016

Fifty Shades of Gr-ape


Hello everyone! Yes, I know that I mentioned that my next post will be about the TEA, but I need some more time to complete my qualms against them. I also wanted to do another post that isn't really...well...political, and I thought that since I considered my current novel-in-progress a "sex-free" (and probably more realistic) 50 Shades of Grey, I might as well expand on my opinions about the book.

When the first book came out in 2011, it didn't seem quite interesting to me (just a weird book with kinky sex). I soon heard that the series was based off a Twilight fanfiction though, which compelled me to stay away, since Twilight (at the time) was the most boring book I've ever read. Time passed, though, and something compelled me to not read the book, but look up some important details of it like what the hell the kinky sex was and the actual plot (the little there was) of it.

Now, I've never read the entire book, but I do have friends who have and filled me in on a few of the details (I also read a couple of excerpts online). From what I have read, the book in general is just awful. Even without the major problem I have with it (which I'll get to in a second), 50 Shades of Grey is pretty weak, with poorly-written characters (the protagonist can even be considered a Mary Sue*!), a plot thinner than a wafer, and still enough influence from Twilight to border plagiarism ("shy and awkward" girl meets "handsome and mysterious" man with a dark secret that will change our precious innocent little girl forever).

My main problem with the book, however, is not with the kinky sex (if you're into BDSM, that's okay. Though I wouldn't consider this book "BDSM erotica"), it's with Christian Grey. Christian Grey is the definition of an abusive partner. Now, he may not be VIOLENT (OK, he was actually a bit violent, please regard that 50 Shades fans), but he does seem to want to control every aspect of Anastasia's life (Seriously, how could that contract he tries to get her to sign NOT be controlling?), and be with Anastasia wherever she goes... even if its back at her mother's house for a single weekend. He just really seemed to want to

Don't believe me? Here's some posters (from this site) that prove my point (with actual quotes from the book):

Fifty Shades of Grey abuse poster

Fifty Shades of Grey abuse poster
Fifty Shades of Grey abuse poster

Fifty Shades of Grey abuse poster

See what I mean?

* What is a Mary Sue? She is an unrealistic character that is assumed to have been created to live out an author's fantasies.

No comments:

Post a Comment