Friday, August 12, 2016

NERVE: A Review (Part 2)

BEWARE!!!!! Spoilers from the movie "Nerve" are below! Read at your own risk if you're planning to see the movie!!!


Now I have the NERVE to Continue this

Sorry for not continuing my review sooner; I've had to travel recently and that put a blunder on my schedule.

Anyway... back to the review.

If you don't remember my prediction for this movie's ending, it was this: Vee and Ian will be the last two players standing, having played the game together, and will have to fight to the death. Magically, the two will make it out alive and Vee will accept her invitation from California school. 

And how right has this been? Well, Vee and Ian are now the last two players of Nerve standing, and Vee has a plan to escape the game, involving Tommy meeting with Dudette and trying to take down the Nerve servers (yeah, apparently the Nerve coordinators overlooked that tiny mishap). Also, Vee's mom is with Tommy because she has lost ALL of her money from her bank account and wants to know what the flying fuck Vee is doing (again, another blunder the Nerve crew overlooked: Wouldn't SOME person of authority find out about the game at this point?). 
But for now, that detail isn't too important.

Instead, we need to focus on our young, hip crowd!

So Vee and Ian make it to this coliseum, being viewed by thousands of watchers (the ones near them in Anonymous-esque costumes). The final dare is revealed: One of the players must shoot the other (proving my "they will fight to the death" theory). This brings up the plot hole I revealed in the first part of my review: Couldn't Ian just forfeit the game here? If he did, they wouldn't have to die and Vee would technically win. However, instead, the movie just throws some cheap tension at us (beaming with Will Ian shoot Vee? Will Vee shoot Ian?) until Ty shows up out of nowhere, claiming that he will complete the dare. Vee dares Ty to shoot her, and he does so.
Yep, everyone witnessed the murder of a girl and the movie ends on that note. The end.
Oh, if only filmmaking could be that creative...
Instead, Tommy and Dudette manage to hack the Nerve servers and make everyone feel guilty about being involved with the murder of a high schooler. And then guess what? Vee turns out to be alive, and Ty and Sydney knew about the situation the whole time!

Which is another problem with this film: They fucking literally pulled that twist out of their asses. I'm not upset that the protagonist turned out to be alive (Okay, I kind of am. That is one of the most cliche twists in the history of history), but having an antagonist turn out to be good in the end? Hot damn, that was a sudden twist NO ONE was prepared for. You may think that't the point, but I at least want SOME REASON why Ty would leave the dark side, which this movie FAILS to do! To quote a typical teen, WTF?!

So I guess you can know the rest of the ending: Vee accepts her invitation from California school and she and Ian (whose real name is revealed: Sam) become a couple, calling the game their "first date". The end.

Overall, this is a pretty stereotyped film. The characters are rehashes from other media, the twist is cliche, the graphics and concept are cool (as well as the acting), but none of those features excuse the lackluster delivery, cliche "suspense", and plot holes this film has. I'm still not sure why young people like it so much, but I guess I'm just not "in the vibe" or whatever.

Overall, this is a 4/10. If you like thriller films and are REALLY forgiving, I recommend it.

Thank you for reading my first film review. I'm going to see Suicide Squad this weekend, so maybe I'll do another one of these.

No comments:

Post a Comment